05/04/2009

MY FIFTH SYNCRONIZED HAPPENING

http://abid/in/paypal/?e=berrasoft2x

Maputo Mozambique 1979

This time I was scared!

I was working in Mozambique.
My wife and I studied Portuguese for 6 months in Sweden and I had been in Maputo three
months and my Portuguese was poor.
I had to use a dictionary every day to do the job
selling products for British Petroleum.
As an old Portuguese colony, English was not
so useful and even if the normal man was very
friendly, some groups of people, like the soldiers
were sometimes very nasty and this was the time Free limo was very active.

In the old days when Maputo had the name of
Lorenzo Marques . this was the place South
Africans traveled to for entertainment.
1979 when I was there, It was a place with
most necessities missing.

We were only two Swedes working for British
Petroleum in Maputo.
I was in Marketing and he was in Supplies.

He had been in Sweden for some weeks and
was supposed to arrive in the airport one
evening and I promised to pick him up.
It was not many people arriving on the
flight from Johannesburg to Maputo.

He did not arrive and most people had left
the airport.
I drove back to Maputo and it was not many
lights on the way. No traffic!
I came up behind a lorry with a lot of
soldiers.
When I was passing the lorry was braking and turned right. Probably just when I passed I
could not see any sign on the other side.
I noticed that they got angry but I drove on
not very fast.
Then after a while I saw light coming up
very fast. I let it pass and saw that it was
the lorry I had passed before.
They passed me and stopped, blocking the road.
I could feel that I was in trouble.
They surrounded the car and they were many.
I had locked the doors from the inside but
I had to let the side window open.
They started to talk to me in Portuguese and
I decided not to understand anything and
started to speak Swedish.
They tried to get me to answer, but also
I could here they were suggesting to cut
me with some knives they had.
They started to rock the car and tip it over.
None of the doors was able to be opened
and they could not decide what to do.
THEN a SYNCHRONIZED HAPPENING helped me.

A car came up behind me and an officer in uniform came up and demanded an
explanation of what was going on.
It did not take long before all soldiers
entered the lorry and drove away.

The officer spoke some English and was
sorry for what had happened.

This was the fifth SYNCHRONIZED
HAPPENING for me and
the first time I really was afraid.

Bertil

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
74 years old retired Born in Sweden and have lived in Spain 22 years. Computer programmer for 20 years. Playing keyboard and having a recording studio.